[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon May 4 02:49:29 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

maybe you read my blog about Xesam and Nepomuk[1]. In essence I think we
should create a new project which will handle the maintenance of the desktop
ontologies. So far for me this means the Nepomuk ontologies NAO, NIE, and
PIMO.
IMHO it makes perfect sense to have a dedicated project for several reasons:
 * no copies floating around in different project packages
 * one standard that we agree on (I know this is hard)
 * one platform for discussion/bugs and general maintenance
 * One central ontologies package very much like the mimetype package

I mentioned in my blog that we already created the OSCAF sourceforge
project[2]. Now I don't really care how we name the project. Maybe OSCAF is
not the best name, maybe something very simple like "desktop-ontologies" would
be better. In any case I think using sourceforce (I prefer it since I already
have 3 projects there and was always happy with it) or something similar is a
good idea. We then don't need to spend time on setting up task tracking
systems or mailing lists. We just use what is there.

So I propose that as a first step we now create the sourceforge project,
create a new dedicated mailing list in it and continue discussion on where to
host the ontologies and how to handle maintenance and so on there.

Any objections against me creating the "desktop-ontologies" project on
sourceforge and creating the "devel" mailing list?

Cheers,
Sebastian

[1] http://trueg.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/xesam_vs_nepomuk/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscaf