[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue May 5 02:14:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 09:28 +0300, Urho Konttori wrote:

> I would definitely like to keep Nepomuk as the ontology name. It is
> already a name that has a lot of backing from high valu players :
> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/Participants
>
> Nepomuk is the only viable foundation for semantic desktop ontology.
> Nepomuk namespace is already in use in KDE.
>
> Now, as to the OSCAF foundation maintaining the ontology, freedesktop,
> w3c, whatnot, I would also really prefer that there would be one
> ontology that is being pointed to. Having said that, we need to be able
> to make changes to the ontogy in faster pace than it has seemed to be
> happening recently.

One particular set of changes of which I believe another free software
project, Akonadi, might be affected are the changes that we did to
Nepomuk's Message Ontology.

You can find it here:

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/tracker/tree/data/ontologies/34-nmo.ontology

The changes are marked with "# FIXME Extension requested in Nepomuk"

I made a few samples on how to use this ontology here:

http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Documentation/EmailSparql

Given the impact on NMO I think these ontology changes require special
attention. The people to get in touch with about these changes are me,
Ivan Frade and Evgeny Egorochkin by the way.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be