[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Wed May 6 00:07:13 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 08:57:40 Arun Raghavan wrote:
> 2009/5/6 Arun Raghavan <arun at accosted.net>:
> [...]
>
> >> Now apparently there's a request to have a more community driven project
> >> structure for Xesam 2.0. Which means that for the ontology we need:
> >>
> >> - A git repository with some accounts for some people
> >
> > If there are no objections, I can drive this with the fd.o folks. All
> > failing (or if it takes too long), we can resort to github or
> > repo.or.cz.
>
> I am going to go ahead with this. I assume a single git repo is
> sufficient for us? Can just put each of the sub-projects in a
> directory.

Actually there is one thing: currently kdebase contains the ontologies encoded
in trig format in combination with a desktop file containing the namespace,
the path to the file, the name, and the description. (Maybe we could also use
this as the basis for a standard?) Anyway, we are currently trying to get the
ontologies into the KDE translation system which means that at least labels
will be translated. At some point I think we need more like plural and all
that jazz. But for now having translated labels would already be a great
thing. We would loose this my maintaining the ontologies on freedesktop.org.

So we either duplicate them in the KDE svn and merge the translations back
regularly or we keep them in their to begin with.

Cheers,
Sebastian