[Xesam] NRL; Need your input - Leo proposes to allow from now on only "one patch per ticket" because we are slow and discussion is endless

Roberto Guido bob4job at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:12:03 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 20:57 +0100, Leo Sauermann wrote:
> I don't have to remind you that this is how open source patching
> works,
> and that patches have the great property that there can be a "yes/no"
> vote on accepting them,
> and moving on with life.

I agree the requirement of a mandatory patch attached to each ticket,
but not the decision making process.

Code patches are in most situations easily evaluable: it works / it
doesn't works. Patches to an abstract model (the ontology) has same
probability to be good or bad depending on who evaluate it, and who is
involved in discussion.
A change is equivalent to an API break: it is easy to strip a function
from the code, but may have dramatic conseguences on existing
implementations which use that.

My alternative:
- mandatory patch
- notification of all people designed for maintainance and those who
have interest about the Nepomuk effort (is it possible to populate an
RSS or send a mail to a list when a new ticket is added in the tracker?)
- if no comments arrive within a week the patch is accepted/refused,
otherwise... Well, I have no alternative for this.

Perhaps some constraint about timing may help in discard excessively
slow procedures ("the maintainer must take a decision when no one add
comments for at least one week, evaluating the modification and all
clearly expressed positions"), but I'm not sure about this.

--
Roberto -MadBob- Guido
http://claimid.com/madbob