[Xesam] NRL; Need your input - Leo proposes to allow from now on only "one patch per ticket" because we are slow and discussion is endless

Sebastian Faubel sebastian.faubel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:29:23 PST 2009

> Form my experience, it's almost impossible to come up with a working patch
> when suggesting something significant and especially when requesting a feature.
>
> There are often lots of possible ways to implement something and without the
> initial discussion, you get a 95% useless patch, especially if you aren't a
> core developer.

I agree to the above mentioned - It should not be mandatory to send in a
patch when filing a bug report. However, a patch can often serve as a
concrete starting point for discussion on the mailing list. I mean, that
from a patch people can outline concrete modeling weaknesses and offer
concrete resolutions. One difficulty when designing ontologies is not to
get off topic and stay focused on the problem at hand. I think that this
is what really needs to be addressed.

I think it would be best to put a notification text on the bug filing
form to encourage people to provide patches for the bugs in order to get
them fixed more quickly. May be it could be helpful if the ontology
maintainers provide an initial patch when conducting the mailing list in
all cases.