[Xesam] NRL; Need your input - Leo proposes to allow from now on only "one patch per ticket" because we are slow and discussion is endless

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Fri Nov 20 13:32:06 PST 2009

ok, summary from my side:

* patches are a welcome idea by Antoni, Sebastian, Evgeny, Roberto,
but some say: not mandatory.

* maintainer has to reply to a patch within a week.
agreed?
(if all say yes, we work like this from now on)

I would also say:
patches do not have to be perfect, something like this is enough:

"change nco:
add:
nco:PersonContact rdfs:subClassOf banana:Bananas.
nco:Contact rdfs:comment "All persons are bananas in their brains."
"

We have an ontology language (RDFS, NRL and N3) for a reason: it gives
us a clear langauge to speak.
Such text is easy to write, but much more precise than prose.

all ok?

the input and dicussion is good, we get somewhere,
best
Leo

It was Antoni Mylka who said at the right time 19.11.2009 11:45 the
following words:
> Sebastian Faubel pisze:
>
>>> Form my experience, it's almost impossible to come up with a working patch
>>> when suggesting something significant and especially when requesting a feature.
>>>
>>> There are often lots of possible ways to implement something and without the
>>> initial discussion, you get a 95% useless patch, especially if you aren't a
>>> core developer.
>>>
>> I agree to the above mentioned - It should not be mandatory to send in a
>> patch when filing a bug report. However, a patch can often serve as a
>> concrete starting point for discussion on the mailing list. I mean, that
>> from a patch people can outline concrete modeling weaknesses and offer
>> concrete resolutions. One difficulty when designing ontologies is not to
>> get off topic and stay focused on the problem at hand. I think that this
>> is what really needs to be addressed.
>>

> +1. Discussing a patch is much easier. Even if the initial version is
> 95% incorrect. We shouldn't require it, because that would alienate
> potential external contributors. We should seriously encourage it though
> at least among ourselves.
>
> Antoni Mylka
> antoni.mylka at gmail.com

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313