[Xesam] [Oscaf] First shared-desktop-ontologies tarball test

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Tue Nov 24 05:48:42 PST 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 09:23:53 Leo Sauermann wrote:
> License:
> Ontology files are both prosa (=text) and software.
> Years ago we thought it would therefore be wise to double-license
> ontologies as CC-BY and BSD.
> this is also the license that was since many months here:
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/License
> why didn't you copy it from there? - any reasons to ignore the wiki page
> or weren't you aware of it?

I was not aware of that page. Thanks for pointing it out. I am fine with that
header, too.

So here goes an updated header (which I will also update on the wiki once
agreed):

#
# Copyright (c) <year>, <Person or Company>
# All rights reserved, licensed under either CC-BY or BSD.
#
# You are free:
#  * to Share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
#  * to Remix - to adapt the work
# Under the following conditions:
#  * Attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
author
#    or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or
your use
#    of the work).
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification,
# are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#  * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this
#    list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this
#    list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or
#    other materials provided with the distribution.
#  * Neither the names of the authors nor the names of contributors may
#    be used to endorse or promote products derived from this ontology without
#    specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS ONTOLOGY IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
# OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
# IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
# INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
# NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
# DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
# THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
# (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
# THIS ONTOLOGY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#

> anyway, I am also fine bith BSD, if everyone else agrees that "in the
> future, double-licensing is ok".
> but then, change the wiki page.
>
> Folders:
> the "base" folder may bite us back later.
> i.e. it contains a mix of ontologies we consider "base" such as dcterms
> and rdf and rdfs.
> someone may ask: why is OWL not there? why is skos not there?
> (etc.)
> so we
> * _may_ change it to subfolders "rdfs" "rdf", "dcterms", etc.... - would
> be more "correct".
> * leave as is and go on - I prefer that. if other people ship other
> ontologies as installation packages, they can come up with other
> top-folder names besides shared-desktop-ontologies

The idea of the "base" folder was to put anything in there that is not
maintained by us. So maybe "3rdparty" would be a better name although that
looks ugly.

Cheers,
Sebastian