[Xesam] Websites that need updating

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sun Nov 7 04:43:13 PST 2010

Hi,

I have an idea related to activity logging that I'd like to contribute,
but first I want to write a couple of emails about issues that make things
difficult for newcomers to the project like me.

First, websites that need updating. This is probably the worst project I
have ever seen for websites that need updating or redirecting (insofar as
this can be considered one single project).

Generally, many of the related websites don't link to each other - at least,
not in obvious places.

1. The trac at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/
has been replaced by the FDO bugzilla for ontology maintenance
- but I didn't notice this information on the trac itself.

2. Likewise, the move to git.

3. Is the Xesam list description at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/xesam
still accurate? Should it be rewritten?

4. Regardless, the page I just mentioned should have link(s) to pages
where people can find out more.

5. The page at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/OntologiesHowTo
has an error message on it. If this page is obsolete, it should become a
redirect - the error message should not just be left there.

6. http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Semantic_Desktop does not have any updates
after 2008 (I think), and nor does it directly link to the Xesam list or any
of the ontology maintenance web pages.

7. http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ points to 3 pages, one which is
http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/ which appears to be outdated
- it links to ontologies dated (in the URLs) 2007. It also does not link
to the Xesam list or any of the ontology maintenance web pages. It also
is missing the GNOME implementation Tracker at the bottom, which suggests
it is not being updated at all.

8. When the transition to .trig file formats was made, the trac wasn't
updated to mention .trig or explain what it is. (Maybe because the trac isn't
used any more - but again, the trac doesn't tell you that!)

9. http://www.oscaf.org/nie_ontology says "If you are interested in using and contributing to the NIE ontology, a working group is currently being formed.
Contact: leo.sauermann at dfki.de" Is this information up to date? If so,
how will the working group(s) fit into the maintenance procedure published
on the trac?

10. http://www.oscaf.org/nao_ontology says "The NAO Ontology is going to be maintained on the OSCAF platform."
I'm not sure what that means, but it should probably redirect people to the trac.

OK - at 10 things to update, I gave up. There are probably more. You get the
picture.

There's also the matter of blog posts - but they don't really need to be
updated - it should be sufficient to merely make sure the pages they link
to, direct people to the right web pages.

I'd be happy to assist in updating any or all of these. But there are such
a lot of web pages, I'm not sure which should be considered obsolete and
should redirect people elsewhere, and which should be cross-referenced to
other pages.

Right now the situation is a mess, I hope you'll agree. I believe that
removing redundancy as much as possible, and directing people to the right
place wherever possible, should be a priority.

Regards,
--
Robin Green