[xliff-tools] PO references

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu Feb 3 01:16:11 PST 2005

Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

>On Wednesday 02 February 2005 21:55, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,

>>>The file-formats this is done on (only openoffice.org parsed files?) are
>>>usually file-types which would benefit from having their own XLIFF filters
>>>(And SUN might even release these soon as open source?), and I don't think
>>>we should accomodate these custom po-filters in the Representation Guide.
>>>

>>OK fine. But I do wish there was a PO reference that was the same style
>>as your mapping guide :-)
>>

>To explain a bit further: In e.g. the translate toolkit you have filters
>ts2po, swx2po, html2po, etc... The goal of the XLIFF Tools project is to
>change all this to ts2xliff, swx2xliff, html2xliff, po2xliff, and use XLIFF
>as the common file format. The guide does therefore not need to accomodate
>any PO format that does not derive from the GNU Gettext package.

Right, now that I have an xliff module this shouldn't be too hard
although we'd want to still keep po as the main format until there's a
decent open source xliff editor. But I see the point that any variation
for the sake of accomodating other formats is unneccessary.

>>>Similar for e.g. KDE's customized implementation of plural forms and
>>>context. Should the specification handle these? My personal opinion is
>>>no, we'll stick to the vanilla gettext implementation for the
>>>Representation Guide. For xliff-po-tools however, to accomodate KDE we
>>>can e.g. add a '--kde-style' flag to xliff2po/po2xliff, that will
>>>correctly parse KDE style plurals and context information.
>>>

>>I think that handle these KDE styles will be important, otherwise we
>>exclude them...
>>

>Yepp, I agree that the FILTERS should include support for KDE, but not the PO
>File Representation Guide.

Maybe it should at least be mentioned in the guide. Otherwise anyone
else following it might handle it in an incompatible way :-)

David