[xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 03:44:22 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm working on cleaning up the guide, and need some help on handling the PO
header.

The only field I can see possibly belonging in the XLIFF file is
Project-Id-Version, which can be split up to represent the product-name and
product-version attributes of the <file> element. But I don't think we should
put a restriction on this and put it in the guide, as some localisation
processes might want other values in these fields.

Rather, I would like to see the whole header abstracted and put in the
skeleton. This causes problems when converting POT files, having to manually
edit headers after translation but I can't see a better solution (other than
e.g. building more logic into filter implementations to auto-modify headers)

Further, how to represent a PO header or any other information in the skeleton
should be totally implementation dependent, and not defined in the guide.

Implementations would need to take care when converting PO files though, as
the character set is specified in a header field. But filters should be able
to deal with that by a) imposing restrictions on character sets (e.g. utf-8
only), or b) parsing the charset field of the header and do the conversion to
the XML character set, or c) manually specify the PO character set on
conversion.

Any comments?

cheers,
asgeir