[xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header

Josep Condal pcondal at apsic.com
Thu Feb 17 05:36:57 PST 2005

Hi Asgeir,

You are right, I guess I had my "blinders" on when I read the text of
the specification under <trans-unit>. But now that I read it at a slower
pace, I think that what XLIFF is trying to convey is that there are only
two ways to say that a segment is not translated yet:

1. There is no target element.
2. The state attribute is "needs-translation".

Only the latter allows for the concept of fuzzy-pretranslation (like in
SDLX or Trados, where a segment of the memory is primed into the
bilingual file as proposal for the given segment, normaly at
pretranslation time).

I understand Rodolfo's point on such a important state being controlled
by a boolean attribute, and that the state attribute is too dangerous
for such a function, but I think that the approved= attribute has
another meaning, and it is not advisable to overload it with this one
(the fact of if a segment is translated or not).

I apologize for the confusion caused by misundertanding of the
specification.

However, I think that maybe a translated="yes|no" attribute would be
practical for the <trans-unit> in a future XLIFF revision.

Regards,

Josep.