[ANNOUNCE] XCB 1.0 now available

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Nov 23 23:57:58 PST 2006

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou release three. No
more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt release, and the number of
the releasing shall be three. Four shalt thou not release, neither release thou
two, excepting that thou then release three. Five is right out. Once the number
three, being the third number, be released, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand
Grenade of XCB towards thy foe Xlib, who, being naughty in My sight, shall
snuff it.

After three release candidates, the XCB developers proudly lob the release
of libxcb 1.0 and xcb-proto 1.0, now available from:

    <http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist/xcb-proto-1.0.tar.bz2>
    with sha1sum: c7252cc74f75c997227b4dcdba2cb654d89cecda

    <http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist/xcb-proto-1.0.tar.gz>
    with sha1sum: c87c8e9da8a5bfdc0653a93e753cbb19409bf0e2

    <http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist/libxcb-1.0.tar.bz2>
    with sha1sum: 0a7e0b65e6f1e0ef4dcaecaa01c4b2854206e96e

    <http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist/libxcb-1.0.tar.gz>
    with sha1sum: e4f79d6c696d751c088c92237a1695de7e0f1837

About libxcb
============

libxcb provides an interface to the X Window System protocol, which replaces
the current Xlib interface. It has several advantages over Xlib, including:
- size: small library and lower memory footprint
- latency hiding: batch several requests and wait for the replies later
- direct protocol access: one-to-one mapping between interface and protocol
- proven thread support: transparently access XCB from multiple threads
- easy extension implementation: interfaces auto-generated from XML-XCB

Xlib can also use XCB as a transport layer, allowing software to make
requests and receive responses with both, which eases porting to XCB.
However, client programs, libraries, and toolkits will gain the most
benefit from a native XCB port.

About xcb-proto
===============

xcb-proto provides the XML-XCB protocol descriptions that libxcb uses to
generate the majority of its code and API. We provide them separately
from libxcb to allow reuse by other projects, such as additional
language bindings, protocol dissectors, or documentation generators.

This separation between the XCB transport layer and the
automatically-generated protocol layer also makes it far easier to write
new extensions. With the Xlib infrastructure, client-side support for
new extensions requires significant duplication of effort. With XCB and
the XML-XCB protocol descriptions, client-side support for a new
extension requires only an XML description of the extension, and not a
single line of code.

Why this release?
=================

Now that XCB has received widespread testing via three release candidates,
we have provided a 1.0 release to form a stable base on which to build other
software.  All future versions of libxcb will preserve compatibility with
libxcb 1.0.

Please report any issues you find to the freedesktop.org bug tracker, at:

    <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=XCB>

Discussion about XCB occurs on the XCB mailing list:

    <xcb at lists.freedesktop.org>

You can obtain the latest development versions of XCB using GIT.
For anonymous checkouts, use:

    git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xcb/libxcb
    git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xcb/proto

This release corresponds to the GIT tag "1.0", signed by Josh Triplett
with key ID D0FE7AFB. In each repository, you can verify this tag with
the command:

    git verify-tag 1.0

Detailed notes on this release follow.

libxcb Release 1.0 (2006-11-23)
===============================

The "Thanksgiving" release: We feel thankful to have it released.  Five years
have passed since XCB's initial commit on September 3rd, 2001:
    <http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xcb.git;a=commit;h=09e54c4a3c>

* Support IPv6.  XCB now supports displays with IPv6 addresses, with or without
  enclosing square brackets, or with hosts which resolve to IPv6 addresses, by
  using getaddrinfo instead of gethostbyname, and by including support for
  authentication for such connections.  This allows such displays as "::1:1.1".

* XCB now uses the libpthread-stubs, to properly support optional use of
  pthreads even on platforms which do not have all the necessary pthread stubs
  in libc or otherwise available by default.

* Switch from the old AM_PATH_CHECK macro to pkg-config.  check 0.9.4 is now
  required to build XCB's unit tests.  The version that we were requiring was
  not actually new enough to let our unit tests compile, and the AM_PATH_CHECK
  macro is now considered deprecated.  We know that versions of check using
  pkg-config are new enough to work, and the check dependency was optional
  anyway, so we've dropped support for older versions.

* Provide a xcb_prefetch_maximum_request_length counterpart to
  xcb_get_maximum_request_length.

* Fix Bug #5958: zero out padding bytes in requests.

* Change xcb_connect to pass the display number to _xcb_get_auth_info, which
  passes it to get_authptr.  This allows get_authptr to stop hacking the
  display number out of the sockaddrs of various address families, such as
  port - X_TCP_PORT, or the number after the last X in the UNIX socket path.

* Remove --with-opt and --with-debug options from configure.ac; configure
  supports the use of custom CFLAGS, so please use that instead.

* Reove support for the <localfield> tag in protocol descriptions, since they
  no longer use it, and since new protocol descriptions should not need it
  either.

* xcb-proto has no libraries or headers, so don't use XCBPROTO_CFLAGS or
  XCBPROTO_LIBS.

* XCB builds which use xdmcp now include it in Requires.private, to support
  static linking.

* Replace "long" with uint32_t when used for a 32-bit quantity

* Various enhancements to the generation of documentation with Doxygen:
  * Check for doxygen in configure.ac
  * Fix some Doxygen warnings.
  * Install documentation.
  * Handle out-of-tree builds, with srcdir != builddir.  xcb.doxygen now gets
    generated from xcb.doxygen.in, so that it can use top_builddir and
    top_srcdir to find source and to output documentation.
  * Fill in PROJECT_NUMBER from @VERSION@, now that we have it readily
    available via autoconf.

proto Release 1.0 (2006-11-23)
==============================

The "Thanksgiving" release: We feel thankful to have it released.

* Fix Bug #8990: randr type fixes
* Fixed screen parameter type in several GLX requests to use CARD32 instead
  of the SCREEN structure.
* Corrected valueparam arguments to attribute lists in several requests and
  a reply.
* Estethic change for attribute parameter name
* Remove support for the <localfield> tag: nothing needs it.
* Fix Bug #8973: In UngrabKey, the 'key' field should have type KEYCODE, not
  the more general CARD8.