Bug(s) in keyboard handling?

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Mon Apr 20 02:50:53 PDT 2009

 	Hi all.

 	One thing I just noticed is that the root window property for XKB only
contains the information for one keyboard.  When I run setxkbmap -print, the
device parameter doesn't make it read the settings for that device, it simply
relies on this property, which is presumably the most recent one set:

_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "pc105+inet", "ang,el", "", \
 	"grp:switch,grp:scroll_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

 	Should that somehow represent multiple keyboards?

 	The reason I originally started writing this message is because I have
two keyboards hooked to my computer.  One of them changes groups when it
probably shouldn't.  Here's my setup:

Keyboard 1: Standard.  Is this "us(basic)" or something?  I was hoping
 	setxkbmap would tell me, but I guess not.
Keyboard 2: ang,el as written above.  This is basically two groups, one for
 	Anglo-Saxon (Fairly standard plus some extra, mostly Latin-1 stuff),
 	and the other group for greek.

 	What happens is, when I write in Greek mode on my second keyboard, if
I press any key on my first keyboard, the second one switches to Anglo-Saxon.
The scroll lock LED doesn't change, though.  I was hoping that this keyboard
would be able to use LED-on to indicate Greek, and LED-off to indicate
Anglo-Saxon, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

 	Just as a test, I tried switching the Anglo-Saxon and the Greek
around.  This switched the results -- every time I type on the primary
keyboard, the secondary switches to Greek.  I'm assuming the bug is somehow
connected to setting the secondary keyboard to the same group as the first.

 	There seem also to be associated bugs when setting two maps on each
keyboard.  Changing the map on device 0 seems to change it for all keyboards,
so if I want to change this, I have to reset my secondary afterwards.

 	Am I right in assuming these are bugs?

 	Thanks all,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |