[RFC/PATCH 0/2] The beginnings of an in-server unit test suite.

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Apr 20 18:09:59 PDT 2009

I looked at the glib testing framework and I think it's good for what we need.
It provides a simple setup and supports more complicated use-cases (that need
seperate setup and cleanup).
It gives XML/HTML output through gtester and gtester-report, which is useful
for the tinderbox.

Also, as airlied pointed out, glib is likely to be present anyway on a
developer's machine - an advantage over other test suites.

Here's the updated patch, I'm quite happy with it and I'm rather eager to
merge this soon. We can fix up the automake pain at a later point in time.

Differences to the previous patch:
- configure supports --disable-unit-tests
- glib-based instead of macro hacks
- one automake warning cleaned up (AM_LDFLAGS was misused)
- automake cleans temporary files.

The test currently runs on "make check" only. At a later point in time we
might want to run this on each make, but currently the objcopy recreates the
library each time, and that drags down compilation time.

Cheers,
  Peter