the rare mouse focus issue

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 20:16:13 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Florian Mickler<florian at mickler.org> wrote:
> I'm seeing a (minor) focus issue too, but i think it is not the
> same issue you are expiriencing.
>
> my (minor) focus issue is with the mouse, not responding to clicks. but
> pressing a keyboard-key fixes the issue for me.  the
> first pressed key also get's lost.

> my only question would be: does hitting a keyboard key, solve your
> issue? but that would be too easy, wouldn't it? i catched me several
> times now composing this message and subconsciously working around my
> bug.

No, hitting a keyboard does not solve my issue (as in, not even temporarily).

There is a different (though possibly technically related) problem
reported by some, about event buffers being "clogged up". Some
keyboard typing would be blocked until the mouse is moved, at which
point all the previously typed button events burst (ie., the typed
text quickly appears). The problem appears with some combination of
AllowEmptyInput setting and hald/moused services running, but a change
in the configuration fixes it. I would guess that a variant of this
would be that some mouse input is blocked (movement still allowed?)
until a keyboard button is pressed, which could be the thing you are
experiencing.

>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-May/045538.html

>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-June/046247.html

> if my thinkpad is undocked and i am using my thinkpads trackpoint i
> see this too.
> but i found, that touching my touchpad once fixes this.
> after that, the trackpoint works smothly. (maybe the same bug, maybe
> not. i will try to reproduce and file a bug report with the necessary
> info, but since i have to undock for this, this has to be somewhen
> else )

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/362359

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/361983/

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-173/+bug/229123

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/364489

>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-698789.html

>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/76732

> it seems to me, that these are all different problems. (the ubuntu one
> reported several times)

They may seem different because, for example,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-June/046247.html does
seem to describes a group of unrelated problems, while the
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/364489
initial report is not too descriptive, but the replies do show
similarities.

The common symptoms are:
- the mouse can freely move, but workings (only) in the "area" where
the last left click went: the browser working area, the toolbar which
contains the Back button, etc.
- right clicking in most cases brings up a context menu, and "unlocks" the focus
- depending on the window manager, switching virtual desktops
"unlocks" the focus
- the bug seems to occur only after one has received some sort of
hardware event, specifically: USB mouse movement, KVM monitor
switching; or after some time of "normal" Xorg usage

Now I have a hunch: could this have something to do with Xorg having 2
mouse input devices (one USB, one PS/2; even if only one is present),
and registering or receiving left mouse button down events for both,
but only registering or receiving up events for one of them?