modular: pre-patch review: build.sh: obsolete modules

Gaetan Nadon gaetan.nadon at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 5 13:55:57 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 19:04 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Fri, Dec  4, 2009 at 12:48:35 -0500, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
>
> > I thought it would be easier to review this list before I create the
> > patch. The modules listed here are not shipped in X11R7.5
> > (http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/src/). I was able to find them in
> > either 7.4 or 7.3. My assumption is that they are obsolete in the sense
> > that they are no longer built or maintained. Is this assumption correct?
> > The list is surprisingly long.
> >
> Not in the katamari doesn't necessarily mean unmaintained, no.

I remember reading about the concept of the katamari release, so that
makes sense. In the release notes there are explicit notes about what
has been "removed". I wanted to clarify what exact modules were removed.
There are various "maintenance states" a module can be in.

7.5 - Removed from this Release
Xprint
kdriver servers
Extensions: (I won't list those already excluded from build.sh, the most
recent one being xtrap)
    XEVIE
    FontCache
    XFree86-Misc

The extensions are the ones I ma most interested in for the immediate.
Then I saw all these apps, most of them last shipped in 7.3, which are
not mentioned in 7.4 release notes. That left me confused.

To avoid confusion, my question is strictly related to whether or not
the modules listed below should be in build.sh. This means they will
continue receiving build related maintenance (upgrades, fix) and any fix
required if a build breakage occurs. This will happen, just by virtue of
being in build.sh. This is the minimum. They may receive additional code
changes, like upgrade on the latest level of ABIs. Sometimes we don't
want that to preserve the last intended commit .

I'll add information from the maintainers list, that should help
reviewers.

Packages			Last shipped	Maintainers list
---------------------		-------------	-----------------

proto/evieproto			7.4 - 1.0.2	No info
lib/libXevie			7.3 - 1.0.2	No info

proto/xf86miscproto		7.4 - 0.9.2	No info
lib/libXxf86misc		7.4 - 1.0.1	No info

proto/fontcacheproto		7.4 - 0.1.2	No info
lib/libXfontcache		7.4 - 1.0.4	No info

lib/libxkbui			7.3 - 1.0.2	Maintained

app/xsetpointer			7.3 - 1.0.0	Not listed
app/appres			7.4 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/beforelight			7.3 - 1.0.2	Obsolete
app/bitmap			7.4 - 1.0.3	Not listed
app/editres			7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/fonttosfnt			7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/fslsfonts			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/fstobdf			7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/ico				7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/listres			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/oclock			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/rgb				7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/rstart			7.3 - 1.0.2	Obsolete
app/scripts			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/showfont			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/twm				7.3 - 1.0.3	Not listed
app/viewres			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xbiff			7.3 - 1.0.1	Maintained
app/xcalc			7.3 - 1.0.2	Maintained
app/xclipboard			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xclock			7.3 - 1.0.3	Maintained
app/xconsole			7.3 - 1.0.3	Maintained
app/xdbeddizy			7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/xditview			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xdm				7.3 - 1.1.6	Maintained
app/xedit			7.3 - 1.0.2	Maintained
app/xeyes			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not lsited
app/xf86dga			7.4 - 1.0.2	No info
app/xfd				7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xfontsel			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xfs				7.3 - 1.0.4	Not listed
app/xfsinfo			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xgc				7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xinit			7.3 - 1.0.5	Not listed
app/xkbprint			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xload			7.3 - 1.0.2	Maintained
app/xlogo			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xlsfonts			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xmag			7.3 - 1.0.2	Not listed
app/xman			7.3 - 1.0.3	Maintained
app/xmessage			7.3 - 1.0.2	Maintained
app/xmh				7.3 - 1.0.1	Obsolete
app/xmore			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xsetmode			7.4 - 1.0.0	Not listed
app/xsetpointer			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xsm				7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xstdcmap			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed
app/xvidtune			7.3 - 1.0.1	Not listed

driver/xf86-video-sunbw2	7.4 - 1.1.0	Unmaintained
font/bitstream-speedo		7.4 - 1.0.0	Not listed

video glide is commented out but shipped and actively maintained. In maintainer list, the status is:
"Obsolete, yet still somehow maintained".

Definitions of terms from maintainers list:

	Supported:	Someone is actually paid to look after this.
	Maintained:     Someone actually looks after it.
	Odd Fixes:	It has a maintainer but they don't have time to do
			much other than throw the odd patch in. See below..
	Unmaintained:	No current maintainer [but maybe you could take the
			role as you write your new code].
	Deactivated:	Package is about to be obsoleted. A deactivated
			package will not receive general fixes unless a user
			requires this package to be reactivated first.
	Obsolete:	Old code. Something tagged obsolete generally means
			it has been replaced by a better system and you
			should be using that.

I wrote "Not listed" if the module name is missing from the file and "No
info" if the module is in the file but has no information about it.

Thanks Julien