fbdev with hardware acceleration

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Jul 9 04:33:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have the following setup: a processor board connects a CPU with an FPGA.
The latter implements a graphics core that currently maps a memory range as
framebuffer. Because the bridge between the CPU and the FPGA is quite slow,
we've been trying to think up some ways to increase graphics performance.

So what we plan to do is add a basic 2D acceleration core to the graphics
controller with support for rectangle fills and image blitting. Now, as I
understand, such hardware support would need an EXA driver to properly
accelerate the corresponding operations. There's also plenty of offscreen
memory available to the FPGA which could be used to store offscreen pixmaps,
which could potentially improve performance a lot because the main bottleneck
is the memory bus between CPU and FPGA.

Since this is all only 2D acceleration, would it still make sense to put some
of the functionality into the kernel (DRM) or is a standalone DDX, based off
of xf86-video-fbdev for example, a better solution?

Thierry