xextproto and libXext cleanup

Jon TURNEY jon.turney at dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jul 20 15:11:14 PDT 2009

On 16/07/2009 04:56, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Those of you watching xorg-announce or xorg-commit may have noticed that I
> pushed the changes to xextproto and libXext.
>
> This commit series removed all client-side headers from xextproto and moved
> them into libXext instead. Clients should not be affected by this other than
> that the BuildRequires have changed.
>
> Most video drivers were affected (dpms.h ->  dpmsconst.h). The patches for
> intel and radeonhd are in Keith's + Eric and Matthias inboxes. I've
> pushed updates for the rest of the video drivers myself.
>
> The rule for header files are now:
> Xfoo.h - library header file in libXext
> foo.h - extension constants, xextproto
> fooproto.h - protocol structures, xextproto
>
> for those headers where foo.h was already in use as client-side header (e.g.
> sync.h, dpms.h) the naming is
> foo.h - library header in libXext
> fooconst.h - extension constants, xextproto
> fooproto.h - protocol structures, xextproto
>
> If there are any build errors, please let me know. I'll be monitoring
> tinderbox for the next few hours.

This pattern doesn't seem to have been followed for MITMisc, as there is now

MITMisc.h - library header in libXext
mitmisc.h - extension constants, xextproto
mitmiscproto.h - protocol structures, xextproto

This fails on case-insensitive filesystems
(case-insensitive filesystems are also fail, but that's a separate issue :-) )

Attached are patches to rename the header in xextproto from mitmisc.h to
mitmiscconst.h, which I think is the way to fix this if I've understood your
mail correctly.

Apologies for not noticing this sooner.