set_mode_major vs RandR transforms

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Jun 9 07:13:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 08, 09 22:27:03 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>  1) set_mode_major no longer sees the current state
>     of the hardware. That was already partially true -- the

The driver can track the state itself if it needs to.
I don't see any issues here.

>  2) existing set_mode_major implementations set transformPresent
>     to FALSE as the old API required. Doing that now will break
>     calls to xf86CrtcRotate as it depends on that value being
>     set correctly in order to detect the presence of a transform.
[...]
> In short, I'm planning on pushing this change to master without bumping
> the driver ABI version number, after which, I'll be pulling the patch
> into the 1.6 branch for release there shortly.

This combination bothers me a little. We don't use set_mode_major in
radeonhd yet, so there it is a no-brainer, but how do you implement a
driver that wants to support both old style (1.6) and new style (1.7)?
You have to be able to determine whether you should set transformPresent
to FALSE or not - best on runtime, if the ABI doesn't change.

CU

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __