Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 28 10:55:32 PDT 2009

On 28 Mar 2009, Gerry Reno uttered the following:
> Any user on an X server system should be aware that Ctrl-Alt-ANYTHING
> is going to do something.

What? I've been using X since 1992, and I've never considered ctrl-alt-*
to be reserved for X. Nor have I ever met anyone who's espoused such
a position. What's more, on other popular OSes, ctrl-alt-* is a very
common shortcut key sequence, so I can't imagine any new users expecting
it to do magic violence to your system either.

(What's more, on my Maltron keyboard, ctrl, alt, and backspace are *next
to each other* in a line, quite easy to accidentally strike simultaneously.
Of course this really *is* a minority keyboard, so I'm not saying that
defaults should change because of it: I'm just glad they did.)