GSoC project : multi-touch

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:14:02 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 01:46:43 you wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:24:55AM +0200, Detlev Casanova wrote:
> > About the multitouch GSoC project, I was wondering about some things :
> >   * would the project be about writing a new driver for multitouch
> > touchpad, for multitouch tablets and also multitouch tables (working with
> > a video camera) ?
>
> such a project should look at providing multitouch independent of hardware
> support. so writing a driver is probably included to test the code, but how
> the actual hardware works (video camera or resistive or ...) doesn't
> matter.

Yes, that's what I thought.

> >  * is there already an API for this ? I mean, has it already been thought
> > on how it should be designed ? XInput seems to have ways to do that
> > (events can contain data and multiple information)
>
> no, there is no API. that's the tricky bit.

Mmmh, that's not what I thought, that's what prevented me writing a proposal
as I didn't really know how to put that together.

> >  * I now I'm a bit late but is there a mentor available for that project
> > and would he/she mind talking about the project ?
>
> I've got a proposal for MT support by Ashish Kumar Rai in front of me and I
> guess we'll beat it into shape until it's realizable. I don't know if GSoC
> supports collaborative projects, but that might be worth investigating if
> you want to work on this.

Unfortunately, no.
Only one student per project but different projects can be related which would
make student work together.
Such a "parallel" project could be writing some drivers or add a MT API in
libraries like Qt or GTK+.

> > Also, there are some howto's and other pages about XInput on the x.org
> > wiki but I never see anything about XI2, so, are those for XI1 or XI2 ?
>
> There are no howtos on XI2 yet because it's still in motion.

About XI1, I suppose it will be dropped once XI2 is finished and implemented.
So, MT will be for XI2, right ?

Regards,
Detlev.