[PULL] Linux and bus subsystem cleanups

keithp keithp at keithp.com
Tue Nov 10 14:51:04 PST 2009

Excerpts from Adam Jackson's message of Tue Nov 10 14:06:47 -0800 2009:

> Slightly easier said than done.  sdksyms.sh pretty much wants _every_
> definition in sdk headers to be prefaced with _X_EXPORT, last time I
> read it.  So it'd need to be in a new header, or we'd need to fix
> sdksyms.sh.

It's under XF86_OS_PRIVS in the header; how about moving all of those
to xf86OSpriv.h instead?

> I'm of the opinion that the shell script is far far worse than the
> static list we had before, in that it actually grew the ABI.  The joke
> is that it did so in the name of being able to use -fvisibility=hidden
> to seal off more of the ABI!  Some kind of massive misunderstanding of
> the problem.

Soon, it won't matter -- the whole ABI will be private to non-server
components.

> that's the kind of ABI break I'd like merged drivers for.

Given that we've only supported 8 bits in the past (due to the 32-bit
encoding we use), I'd say we can 'ignore' this for now and plan on
moving to the structure later on.

keith.packard at intel.com