[RFC] GLX_INTEL_swap_event

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Nov 16 12:18:08 PST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:51:31 -0800
Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > Kristian, Chris and I met with some of the Clutter/Mutter developers
> > last week and came up with a new GLX extension to help GLX integrate
> > more naturally into glib style event loops:
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~jbarnes/swapbufferevent.txt
>
> I think I'd replace blit with copy in the spec.

Yeah, probably better.

> What is the utility to the application of knowing GLX_FLIP_COMPLETE vs
> GLX_EXCHANGE_COMPLETE?

It was easy to provide...  I had vague thoughts that the client lib
could check the return value against its expectations, but admittedly I
don't have a use case for exchange vs. flip (basically just indicates
whether the swap was a full screen or windowed flip).

> The GLX_BUFFER_SWAP_COMPLETE_INTEL event should just return the enum
> values instead of 1, 2, or 3.  This is what is done for the
> GLX_BUFFER_CLOBBER_MASK_SGIX event, for example.

Oh sure.  I think the spec doesn't match the implementation in this
sense.  I'll fix the spec. :)

> All X events are 32 bytes, but GLX_BUFFER_SWAP_COMPLETE_INTEL is 34
> bytes.  Perhaps the SBC could be only 4-bytes?  Having more than 2**32
> buffers swaps seems unlikely. :)

Arg, miscounted. :)  That would make it fail to match the OML stuff, but
is probably ok...

> Minor nit... Since many specs have issues lists that are longer than
> the spec, we've started putting the issues list at the end.  Look at a
> recent spec for an example:
>
> http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/glx_create_context.txt

Ok, I'll move it to the end.

Thanks for checking it out.  What's the ARB process for this?  Once
we're shipping an implementation should it be hosted at the opengl GLX
extension registry?  Or do we need some ARB approval of the event code
we're using?