[RFC] xserver: use LRMI for real-mode calls

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Tue Nov 17 10:04:15 PST 2009

Alan,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:12:48PM +0100, ext Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> > This work removes x86emu code from X server and provides the same real-mode
> > x86 BIOS calls by using libx86, through LRMI.
>
> Is there another home for LRMI besides http://sourceforge.net/projects/lrmi/ ?
> That project appears abandoned (last release 4 years ago).

Seems the last one that played with LRMI openly was mjg59. There's an
implementation of such interface inside his library here:

    http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/libx86/

But my experience when touching LRMI on the last days showed that such
interface is very loosely and simple: we just initialize some basic structures
and then go for the 16 bit mode callback. Inside such callback you can
implement your own way to do it.

But what we really need in the end is a common interface for both vm86 and
x86emu (for instance I could simply call instead librealmode or whatever).

Cheers,

            Tiago