New development model check-in.

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Nov 19 08:06:50 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 01:41 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 02:48:45PM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:30:53AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I don't think that's necessarily true in areas that aren't EXA;
> > > certainly, no-one else has complained, and the patch flow from both
> > > regular and one-off contributors seems to be very similar to what it was
> > > before the change.
> > >
> > > I can't speak for Keith, but I would've assumed that as a major
> > > subsystem responsible for some inordinately large percentage of commits
> > > these days, that EXA would have (at least) one tree where one could pull
> > > from to obtain the latest reviewed and mergeable EXA commits.  It makes
> > > everyone's lives a lot easier -- including yours, because you don't have
> > > to patchbomb the list and follow up doggedly on the patchbombs.  One
> > > mail ('please pull the EXA tree') would suffice.
> >
> > So if this mode of working is now imposed, does that mean that our ~ on
> > annarchy, which will supposedly hold such trees,  will be backed up now?
>
> Right now, it's not, but someone proposed backing up at least the git
> trees, which I think makes a great deal of sense.
>
> I'd be pretty concerned if a git tree for a major component like EXA
> vanished with no-one at all having any kind of copy of it though;
> wouldn't you?

In the last data loss, my ~anholt/mesa disappeared.  I figured I'd
re-upload it at some point, but there are a bunch of branches to put up,
so I put it off.  Some people wanted some of it, but meh.  Yesterday, in
the midst of some travel-related sleep-dep I nearly hosed my Mesa git
tree, and realized that my backup of my Mesa tree (annarchy) wasn't
backed up at the moment, and I could have lost everything.

Yeah, my laptop should be backed up.  But could we please backup
annarchy for imperfect people?

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com