xf86-video-nv: 5 commits - compat/.gitignore configure.ac .gitignore Makefile.am man/.gitignore

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Thu Nov 19 17:09:59 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 16:34 -0800, Aaron Plattner wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 04:28:24PM -0800, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 15:34 -0800, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> >

> > This causes a significant amount of breakage.  ChangeLog is now no longer
> > cleaned by any of the automake clean commands, including maintainer-clean.
> > Also, it causes dist to fail when --prefix was not specified:
> >

> > I'll look into this right away, starting with the most urgent issue, make
> > dist. The command copies the INSTALL file from the document directory,
> > $(prefix)/share/doc/util-macros. What looks suspicious is the
> > NONE/share/doc/util-macros. Is NONE a real directory? You can contact me
> > directly.
>
> No, I just didn't specify it on the command line.  The fundamental problem
> is that it's trying to use the package's --prefix to find the INSTALL file
> from util-macros, which may have been installed at a different prefix:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/no-such-directory
> checking for gcc... gcc
> [..etc..]
>
> $ make dist
> (GIT_DIR=./.git git log > ./.changelog.tmp && mv ./.changelog.tmp ./ChangeLog) || (rm -f ./.changelog.tmp; touch ./ChangeLog; echo 'git directory not found: installing possibly empty changelog.' >&2)
> if test -f /no-such-directory/share/doc/util-macros/INSTALL; then cp -f /no-such-directory/share/doc/util-macros/INSTALL .; else echo '/no-such-directory/share/doc/util-macros/INSTALL cannot be found.' >&2; fi
> /no-such-directory/share/doc/util-macros/INSTALL cannot be found.
> { test ! -d "xf86-video-nv-2.1.15" || { find "xf86-video-nv-2.1.15" -type d ! -perm -200 -exec chmod u+w {} ';' && rm -fr "xf86-video-nv-2.1.15"; }; }
> test -d "xf86-video-nv-2.1.15" || mkdir "xf86-video-nv-2.1.15"
> cp: cannot stat `./INSTALL': No such file or directory
> make: *** [distdir] Error 1
>
> Note that it's trying to copy from
> /no-such-directory/share/doc/util-macros/INSTALL even though util-macros
> was installed with --prefix=/usr.

You're right, there was a hidden assumption that the prefix of
util-macros was known. I don't think there is a reliable way of finding
this information. This was an attempt to save from having to check-in
250 INSTALL file. A large number of modules did not have any. It looks
like this is the only alternative now.

To recover, the target from Makefile.am can be removed. As long as the
INSTALL file is present in the root directory, it will be included in
the tarball by Automake. Just for completeness, note that .gitignore has
an entry to ignore INSTALL as it was intended to be generated.

It is true that ChangeLog, INSTALL NEWS, AUTHORS and some other files
cannot be deleted. This is a designed behaviour by autoconf/automake. I
have seen on the net not everyone agrees with that.

Would you like me to create a patch right now?