New release process for 1.8 (READ THIS)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Fri Oct 2 12:32:35 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 12:06, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> On Friday 02 of October 2009, Ping wrote:
>
>> I think moving drivers into xserver tree benefits both driver and
>> xserver
>> developers as well as distro maintainers.
>
> As distro maintainer I hated monolitic X. It's was nightmare to
> patch it and
> fix some build issues. Modular drivers are very nice for me.

This isn't talking about going back to monolithic ... just pulling the
drivers back in (and presumably just the working / maintained drivers).

>> If the
>> driver's maintainer could not provide the confirmation on a timely
>> manner,
>> the driver could be excluded from the xorg release.
>
> And when it is fixed you would have to wait until new xorg release
> or play
> dirty games with including driver again. With modular drivers you
> just take
> new tarball.

This re-integration is conditional on the new release process working
out such that we have reliably timed releases.

Also, you can always just pull in the patch from the server-xx-branch
or server-xx-nominations branch and roll that into your distro.