[gentoo-alpha] Need X testers on Alpha. I think we've got it this time.

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:52:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Brian Parkhurst <brianp at spamcop.net> wrote:
> How do you recommend I download your repo for compiling under gentoo?

The easiest/best way is to first install layman (emerge layman) and
with it add the 'x11' overlay.

See here for instructions wrt layman:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Layman

Unmask/keyword =x11-base/xorg-server-9999 and its dependencies. (You
might want to use app-portage/autounmask to make this a more automated
task.)

Copy the xorg-server-9999.ebuild from your layman overlay to your
local overlay (/usr/local/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/). Edit the
file and change this line:

EGIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver"
EGIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~mattst88/xserver"
In the folder where this new ebuild exists, run `ebuild
xorg-server-9999.ebuild digest`

At this point you should run `emerge =x11-base/xorg-server-9999` and
sit back and wait. When this has finished, emerge whatever X11 drivers
you need (xf86-input-evdev, xf86-video-{ati,glint}) and do some
testing.

I don't know what your level of proficiency with Gentoo is, but if
it's not high then this process will sound hard--trust me, it's really
not. The alternative would be much more complicated.

Thanks,
Matt