[PULL] input fixes for 1.8

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Apr 1 00:13:41 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:07:03AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> > Does the existing released evdev driver work with the new server if
> > recompiled? If not, we must release the evdev driver before the server
> > (and ensure that it works across server versions). If it does work, then
> > we should stick the xorg.conf fragments in the X server as the evdev
> > driver would otherwise need to be released before or at the same time as
> > the X server. We don't get to ship an X server that depends on
> > unreleased input drivers.
> >
> >> Peter has an updated patch for evdev. As far as I'm concerned, it's
> >> good, but I guess we need to settle whether this is in the server or
> >> the driver.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, it either needs to go in the X server, or
> > someone needs to release the input drivers that need an xorg.conf
> > fragment.
> >
> > And people wonder why I want to merge the drivers back into the
> > server...
>
> Sure, I don't see any reason not to make an evdev release right now.
> Let's see what Peter's opinion is, though.

Peter's away this week, but I'm happy to make a release on his behalf
(he asked) if needed to get 1.8 out.

If you're happy moving the config file to the server, then I think we're
fine to release the server, as the current release of evdev works fine
with 1.8.  I think Peter had a few more things he wanted to do before
cutting a final evdev release though.

Cheers,
Daniel