Merged proto package

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Apr 7 01:58:33 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 01:43:58AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> > For people like me, who really can't rely on a distribution to be up to
> > date enough, I end up installing protocol headers. Of course, they go
> > stale if I don't keep on top of them, and so I get accidental version
> > skew. Reducing the number of packages I have to track from 20 to 1 would
> > avoid this almost entirely.
>
> But around 15 of those haven't really changed in years, beyond whot's recent
> cleanup of moving the library headers out of the proto module so the proto
> modules can change even less.

IIRC, the only proto package with xlib headers left was videoproto and there
is a bit of weirdness in the kbproto package. With both I gave up to protect
my sanity.

> How many extensions are under regular active development?  DRI2, Xi, & RandR?

At some magical point in the future, I guess we should bump XTEST to cater
for XI2 events. There are also requests for XEvIE which would likely need a
bump, and possibly even RECORD updates for XI2 (not sure on this).
The point is that the chance of them being developed on isn't too remote,
all it needs is some bored student with a project to finish.

Cheers,
  Peter