Merged proto package

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Apr 7 06:50:05 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:14:18AM +0200, ext Keith Packard wrote:

> In my ideal world, a user interested in trying out the latest driver
> bits for their video card would have to download two modules, the
> protocol headers and the X server/drivers. Just merging the protocol
> headers together gets us to four -- headers/server/video/evdev. Yeah,
> there are also kernel/mesa/libdrm issues, and we should figure out how
> to make that easier too.

Well, the user would have also to care about some libraries: libpciaccess,
libXfont, libfontenc, libXau, libpixman, libxdmcp and etc, just to mention
some. So, besides protocol and drivers, do we intent to merge libraries back?

I'm just concerned about microoptimizations and how we would customize a Xorg
for embedded. People are already in panic about the zillions of --enable-* in
our configure.ac...

                            Tiago