Merged proto package

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Thu Apr 8 11:24:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 10:17 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:12:39 -0700, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Oh. Yeah, probably not the best name. 'xproto'? 'xprotocol'?
> >
> > Well, considering we already have 'xproto' as one of the individual
> > modules, it might make sense to go with 'xorg-proto'. That would be
> > nicely synced with 'xorg-server'.
>
> Eric came up with an obvious solution here. We simply take over the
> existing 'xproto' package and start with that existing version
> number. It's not tied to any protocol visible number at all.
>
> I'll plan on bumping that to '7.1.0'. Seem reasonable?
>
> Then we switch the X server to depending only on that package with that
> version number. We can still install the other .pc files for backwards
> compatibility, but future changes would want to use only the xproto
> version number.

I like that. I am not sure, but are the old *.pc realy needed? It adds a
little bit to existing complexity:

        1. individual protos can be installed using different $prefixes,
        so we have identical pc filename in two locations
        2. having dri2proto.pc, for example, would suggest
        $prefix/proto/dri2proto is installed but it may or may not be.
        3. installing a downlevel dri2proto using same prefix would
        overwrite the pc file installed by xserver-proto

For backward compatibility, if config file ask for old package, then old
package should be installed.
As for xproto itself, we need to make sure it won't suffer from previous
versions being installed. Otherwise, it may be better to use a new name
all together. Again, not sure, consider these statements as test cases.

On another note, should the xproto.pc be installed in "share" ($datadir)
rather than "lib" ($libdir) directory? All protos are architecture
independent.