libX11 and xcb

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Sat Apr 10 01:07:06 PDT 2010

Le 09/04/2010 20:36, Jamey Sharp a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Jeremy Huddleston
> <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> So what is the general recommendation at this point for how to ship
>> libX11?  I'm still shipping a build --without-xcb mainly because we
>> wanted to play it safe during xcb's infancy.
>
> I'm curious to hear from packagers myself. I think most packagers are
> building --with-xcb at this point, on Linux, BSD, and Solaris? I don't
> know though.

We (Gentoo) have been shipping an xcb-enabled Xlib by default since last
summer. Before that, it had been an opt-in pretty much ever since Xlib
supported it, but I think quite a few users had it enabled as we've had
a lot of bug reports about it.

I think, within the next couple of months, we'll remove the optional xcb
support and enable it for all our users.

Nowadays, we only have maybe one or two apps (cinelerra comes to mind)
that still don't like xcb-xlib, but these apps usually have much bigger
issues (poor threading code, custom toolkits, etc).

Cheers,

Rémi