XGetWindowAttributes on unmapped windows

Serdar KOYLU serdarkoylu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 07:29:56 PDT 2010

I try get list of childrens for window xyz:

XQueryTree(do->xdpy, window, &dummy, &dummy, &children, &nchildren);

Call return many n umbers of windows, ok. Such as: { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 }

I do query this windows for isviewable or other property, or any other
operation:

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (...)
  Major opcode of failed request:  42 (X....)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x5
  Serial number of failed request:  16

Yes, this is not an actual message, but the problem is same.

If try to access an ummaped (or similar state) window, XTest/XLib print an
error message and app. exit to system immediately.

I don't find any method for check "state of an unmapped window".

If a window is not accesible, why its listed with "XQueryTree"? Or if its
listed in this structure, we can access and find its a "unmapped window". This case has a great pitfall for testing apps, i thing this.

A XGetWindowAttributes call to "unmapped window" must be return a error, or
return a valid attribute struct. We must look its property "isviewable" or etc. It's real?

But currently its returned a fatal-error and XLib call "exit(1)" syscall on
_XError, _XDefaultError functions. This reason make impossible for generic
window test application development..

In similar windows, with listed in XQueryTree, don't accessible with other X calls, such as XSendEvent(_NET_WM_PING) etc. In my tests, all Xlib calls always resulted "exit()"..

If you can know a method for get a window is (un)accessible state, you can help me. Thanks..