X server 1.9 release thoughts

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 14:02:27 PDT 2010

2010/4/12 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:30 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>> First off, thanks to everyone involved in the 1.8 release; it was a
>> pleasure to work with you. I'm hoping everyone else is as happy as I am
>> about our new release process, it seemed to me that we saw a lot more
>> active review and discussion about proposed patches this time around.
>>
>> For version 1.9, I'm planning on doing things in much the same way, if
>> people have suggestions on how we can improve things, please post them
>> so we can get things settled before we get too far into the release.
>
> I still think restricting write access to xserver master to a single
> person has been a mistake, choking existing momentum without generating
> new momentum, or making master broken less of the time — rather the
> opposite: There were a number of cases where breakage wasn't fixed for
> days because nobody else was allowed to push the fixes.

I'd have to agree here, I think we need to do 1.9 following the same
process again
and refine it a lot more. Keith there were large stages during the 1.8
process where
master was broken and you weren't tasked to fixing it, and people were
relying on
stuff from the list or other peoples branches. This doesn't seem like
the way forward,
and I suspect if you want to take responsibility for the tree you need
to appoint someone
else to push build and correctness fixes while you are unavailable.

Dave.