Xv Xdbe combination

Matthew Fincham matthewf at cat.co.za
Sun Apr 11 22:54:47 PDT 2010

Hi

I am trying to display scaled video with text and pixmaps (amongst other
things) "overlayed". I have Xv working, but when the overlay (to be
clear, this is not an Xv overlay) is drawn the overlay flickers. So I
need use Xv, but with double buffering.

My first attempt was to use Xv to draw to a pixmap instead of a window,
only to find out that Xv does not support this (at least it looks like
the Intel driver doesn't support this).
My next attempt was to use the composite extension to redirect the
drawing to an offscreen buffer. This didn't appear to make any
difference to the flickering, although I didn't spend to long on this.
My next attempt was to use the Xdbe extension. Now on its own this is
working, but when used in combination with Xv to draw to the back-buffer
I get an X error "BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 11,
major opcode 140, minor opcode 19".

I'm not sure how to proceed with this and was wondering if anyone had
any advice.

Many thanks
Matthew Fincham

Xorg: 1.3.0