[RFC] Make screen recs run-time adjustable

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Mon Apr 12 07:54:25 PDT 2010

Hi,

This RFC is about the discussions we had last week regarding the _removal_ of
MAXSCREENS. Now there's no MAXSCREENS variable and neither -maxscreens option.
It's a step further to hotplug "screens".

There are trivial changes on the driver side. We might want to set some #ifdef
MAXSCREENS there, for drivers that want to keep compat with old servers, as
Alan pointed out (damn, for cases like this it much better to have drivers
glued back to the server).

Please, take a look and see if this makes sense for you all. Note that right
now I don't want to go further for instance adding other features like
rellocate all structures for a hotplug case or whatever. I don't care about
it. I'm pretty happy already just with the code clean up that this brings.
Anyway, I'm expecting your feedback here to proceed with the creation of
patches and expand it to other DDXs besides Xorg.

The RFC is here also:
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/xserver[maxscreenless]

Tiago Vignatti (2):
  dix: make MAXSCREENS run-time configurable
  xfree86: make MAXSCREENS run-time configurable

 Xext/panoramiX.c                      |   12 +++-
 Xext/panoramiX.h                      |    2 +-
 Xext/panoramiXprocs.c                 |  121 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 Xext/panoramiXsrv.h                   |    2 +-
 Xext/xvdisp.c                         |   10 ++-
 dix/dispatch.c                        |   40 ++++++++++-
 dix/events.c                          |    2 +
 dix/globals.c                         |    6 +-
 dix/main.c                            |    5 +-
 dix/window.c                          |    2 +-
 fb/fbcmap.c                           |   11 ++-
 hw/xfree86/common/xf86Cursor.c        |   68 ++++++++++---------
 hw/xfree86/common/xf86xv.c            |    5 +-
 hw/xfree86/dixmods/extmod/xf86dga2.c  |    7 ++-
 hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/arm_video.c |    5 +-
 include/cursor.h                      |    2 +-
 include/dixstruct.h                   |    1 -
 include/globals.h                     |    4 +-
 include/inputstr.h                    |    2 +-
 include/misc.h                        |   38 ++++++++++-
 include/scrnintstr.h                  |    3 +-
 include/windowstr.h                   |    2 +-
 mi/micmap.c                           |    4 +-
 mi/micmap.h                           |    2 +-
 render/render.c                       |   10 +++-