Smooth scrolling

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Mon Apr 12 11:12:23 PDT 2010

Am 08.04.2010 01:42, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> for evdev, just applying some velocity calculation and adjusting the number
> of clicks accordingly may be helpful already. Right now, if you scroll 1,
> 1, 1, 1 that looks the same to the client as if you scroll 2, 2. Arguably,
> the latter one is faster and should result in more scrolling.
Let's not reinvent the wheel (no pun intended)!

Wheel acceleration is pretty much the use case I had in mind when I made
acceleration contexts available to drivers. Consider that wheel
'presses' are much less precise than mouse motion - you're doomed to run
into precision issues.

The first five functions in ptrveloc.h should suffice to track wheel
motion and respond in a much nicer manner than a cooked-up solution is
likely to. I'm happy to provide assistance if the useage isn't obvious.

Cheers,

Simon