Merged proto package

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Apr 13 03:36:19 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:58:12PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Looks like comments on the xproto package have tapered off; I'll give
> everyone another chance, but then I'll go ahead and create a new
> xorg-level 'xproto' repository with the current bits.

You claim that you're doing this because you believe that the fact that
you need to update some proto packages each time you try to build a new
server. You also claim that you think that this is a major hurdle for
most people to update their xserver to upstream more regularly.

The solution that you propose is to lump all the different proto
packages together, while most of them utterly stable (apart from
massive amounts of janitorial work recently).

This will force everyone to update _all_ protos at once, which, in a
normal world, forces updating of _all_ the packages depending on each
of the formerly separate and (mostly) atomic proto headers.

You are turning what clearly is a small nuissance, a tiny bit of hassle,
a little bit of busywork, into a major hurdle.

And you are then achieving exactly the opposite of what you claim that
you want to fix.

What you will achieve however, is an extension of the policy of
steering towards a 1:1 version tie between kernel, libdrm, mesa and
xserver to the client libraries as well.

You're getting paid to do development, how about spending those few
minutes each time on updating the necessary proto packages instead of
forcing massive updates on the world?

Luc Verhaegen.