X server 1.9 release thoughts

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Tue Apr 13 07:26:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr  6, 2010 at 09:30:47 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> First off, I'd like to get a start on making things easier to build
> for people interested in testing the server or new drivers. I'm still
> interested in getting drivers pulled back into the server itself at some
> point, but it seems like an important and trivial first step will be to
> merge all of the protocol headers into one package. I'll get started on
> that and post a pointer to a merged repository for review.

So the way I see it, this is a bunch of busy work with 0 benefit.  What
is this supposed to help with?  Most protos you can get from your
distro, and if you want to build everything from git there are scripts
around which make building 10 or 20 protos not harder than building one.

On Tue, Apr  6, 2010 at 15:18:24 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:43:01 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>
> > I think a 3-month major-release cycle will be very taxing, especially
> > considering the increased codebase with drivers.
>
> We're doing 3 month releases with the intel drivers today; it's working
> out pretty well as I think we're more responsive to regressions and
> other bugs than we used to be.

Really?  I haven't had that impression at all since you started this
"let's release the intel driver every 3 months" thing.

Today, I can get the radeon bugfixes, and try to leave out the latest
intel regressions, with no extra work.  If they're both in the same
repo, that gets much harder.

Cheers,
Julien