Live builds

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Sat Apr 17 22:53:04 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 02:29:27PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>
> wrote:

> > Not really; except for Gentoo, all these kinds of builds ever see
> > are somewhere along 'master', so you can't go get bits from some
> > other tree and build those. We're stuck in a linear world right now,
> > and I'd like to make more parallel development possible.
>
> The also suffer from the somewhere along master 2 weeks ago problem,
> where someone reports a bug, its fixed upstream and the ppa lags by an
> amount of time. So you patch master, and then the user has to wait
> until the ppa updates to tell you if it fixed it. Its a really
> annoying workflow.

Perhaps I should have stated this explicitely: My point wasn't really
that much that xorg-edgers entirely removes the need for local builds.
But it makes them much easier: you can simply get recent versions of all
the protos and other dependencies from xorg-edgers -- making the actual
build almost trivial...

-antrik-