jhbuild (was Live builds (was: Merged proto package))

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:58:36 PDT 2010

On 26 April 2010 18:05, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney at dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> I think you are somewhat making a rod for you own back by making this harder
> than it needs to be.
> There is no reason I can see not to do 'make Makefile.plain install' for
> jhbuild if it can't configure:  All this omits is building the
> documentation, which is nice to have, but is also at
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/

I think you've probably got a point there!

> Suggesting that 'jhbuild bootstrap' needs to be run seems to me to be
> unhelpful.  I'm not sure exactly what the point of this command is when
> building GNOME, but there seems to be no point (in normal use when building
> X.Org) in building the autotools toolchain from scratch when packages are
> available, and on fringe platforms the release tarballs may not actually
> work without patching :-). I'm pretty sure guile isn't used at all in
> building the X.Org stack, so again, there's no point in building that.

Yeah, building only as much of it as is actually needed is eminently
sensible ... that was part of the original HOWTO from way back when
that was thrown onto the wiki. The whole thing could do with going
over, really, if it's to remain as a suggested method of building
Xorg. I was basically just trying it on several systems and seeing
what it actually took.

> I've also removed the suggestion that the libXmuu package needs to be
> installed to build jhbuild xorg on cygwin.  I don't find this to be the case
> and it doesn't make much sense.

It was experimentation to try to get it building on a TinyXP VM here,
so if you can build X without it, then good!

- d.