Smooth scrolling

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Apr 29 19:21:36 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:58:16PM +0200, Max Schwarz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here is an update on my progress:
> I have wheel valuator events generated and captured by
> a small test program (pscrolltest, see my repository on github:
> http://github.com/x-quadraht/pscroll).
> The proper valuator resolution is reported (1 unit per old-style scroll click
> per default, as "normal" devices don't have higher resolutions).
>
> My only problem is that my nice relative valuator events are somewhere
> converted into an absolute valuator. That _might_ be okay, but as the user can
> scroll on and on, an overflow is theoretically possible.
> Can I somehow tell XI2 not to integrate the relative motions?

not really, all valuators sent to the clients are always absolute (with the
exception of the ones in RawEvents). so even though the driver posts events
as relative, they're just added to the current value and sent as absolute
anyway.

this makes the whole issue rather tricky, because i'm pretty sure that most
users would scroll down more than up, so you _will_ get overflow at some
point. not sure what to do here...

Cheers,
  Peter