lack of standardization on X11 (was Re: X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Aug 17 10:36:48 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 18:31 +0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:

> One of the benefits to write any protocol in stone is because a plenty of use
> cases was thought for while, which theoretically could be used by lot of
> application and consumers.
>
> Everyone knows that we're not using X core protocol anymore and we're abusing
> its extensibility feature. In MeeGo + QT 4.7 we're using around 15% of the
> core protocol only. This all means we can play and juggle with the protocol
> for anyone needs, adding and killing X extensions.
>
> Now, the major problem is that we start to have a bunch of different
> applications, each one using X differently. Ubuntu 10.10 employing one way to
> do gesture, Ubuntu 11 another one, MeeGo another one and so on. That's silly!
> We should be using the same basis set of system applications instead.
>
> We're lacking standard.

I think you're making a problem out of nothing here.  It looks very much
to me like Chase is attempting to define a spec that's generally
acceptable.  Commercial realities mean that sometimes you have to ship
things before they're widely accepted.  There's not necessarily anything
wrong with that as long as you're willing to cope with the eventual
migration.

For something like gesture support, it's probably okay to say that apps
written against version 1.0 won't necessarily work against a server that
supports the (eventual, consensus) version 2.0.  That's why we have
versioning.

- ajax