lack of standardization on X11 (was Re: X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1)

Vignatti Tiago (Nokia-MS/Helsinki) tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Aug 18 03:37:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:17:53PM +0200, ext Chase Douglas wrote:

> That's what Ubuntu 10.10 is all about: an initial implementation to get
> people excited and help us work out the kinks. By asking people to base
> their work on our geis library, we've attempted to abstract out the X
> protocol so that we can change it for the real v1.0 of the gesture extension
> and not force people to rework their applications. In theory, no one should
> be directly using our v0.5 version of the gesture protocol that exists in
> 10.10.

yeah, it's pretty clear and understandable your explanation. Thanks!

But I wasn't clear before maybe. My main observation here is regarding the
life time of the protocol you're creating: if it's something that would last
for at most one year (two ubuntu cycles), then *protocol* is not something you
need; just a basic set of rules for your own environment and you're done. I
see the word protocol more as a generic solution to last a couple of years at
least [0]. Anyway, meh, I understand now that you're still in prototyping
stage, even you're shipping already it in the product - which was part of the
my confusion.

> I hope that all sounds reasonable :). I really want to encourage
> discussions on the protocol itself because we do want one standard for
> gestures through X.

okay, nice! I'm looking forward for this also :)

             Tiago