VMware drivers maintainers

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Wed Aug 18 06:07:01 PDT 2010

On 08/18/2010 03:00 PM, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 14:09 +0200, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>> It appears that the vmwarectrl program has its own configure.ac
>> script, so it won't be compiled unless explicitly configured and
>> build in that directory.
>>
> Correct. It's the only package out of the 240 in xorg that has this
> arrangement.
> The configuration is also totally out-date.
>> I'll have a check with some inhouse people to see whether we want to
>> change that so that it builds by default.
>>
> It would be good to know what is the expected use of this program.
> An end user program that system builders should include in their OS?
> A developer only tool for unit testing?
>
> Whatever it may be, I can propose some better alternatives.

After asking around, I was told It's a test program for the vmwarectrl
protocol extension / functionality. People thinks it's ok to build it,
but not install it by default.

A good solution would perhaps be to have a configure option
--enable-vmwarectrl-client that triggers a build of this component.

Please let me know whether you want to do that. Otherwise I can take
care of it during the upcoming week.

Thanks
Thomas