lack of standardization on X11 (was Re: X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1)

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Aug 18 07:33:57 PDT 2010

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 16:54:56 +0300, Vignatti Tiago (Nokia-MS/Helsinki) wrote:
>
>> But hey, why do we care about these very old apps being compliant with todays
>> server? Who in fact really uses those?
>>
> Sun^WOracle and Redhat customers, at a guess.

Absolutely, and while most people here don't care about those, I'm sure they
appreciate the work done by developers paid by the makers of enterprise distros
like RHEL, SLES, and Solaris, funded by those customers.

But then, I still see plenty of bug reports coming in for the ancient Xaw apps
from X.Org, like xdm & twm, from users of all sorts of distros - so there are
users out there - maybe not running them on their cell phones with Meego, but
there are probably more people running those apps than are running Meego.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com