X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 21:57:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 01:20:45PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Yeah, that makes sense. But why only allow touch events to be interpreted as
> gesture events? Opera I think was the first browser to come out with mouse
> gestures and I used to love it. There is a use-case for other gestures.

Similarly, if your hardware allows for it, you want to be able to
distinguish between touches of a stylus and of a (set of) fingers.
You don't want to do the same things with them.

> I think my point may have been ambiguous. What I wanted to say is: I'm for X
> not having _anything_ at all to do with the GE. X forwards the events to the
> client, the client then may or may not pass it to the GE (e.g. over dbus). X
> just sends the raw events, contextual interpretation of these events is done
> purely client-side.

Are you sure you want to use dbus for that?  It would make a lot more
sense, especially to handle causality, to go through synthetic X
events from a trusted manager, which could be integrated in the window
manager or be external like for multilingual support.

  OG.