Are we ready for X server 1.9?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 20 17:08:50 PDT 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:32:03 -0400, Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov> wrote:

> I'm getting a devPrivates assertion failure in SELinuxExtensionInit():
> Xorg: privates.c:202: dixRegisterPrivateKey: Assertion
> `!keys[t].created' failed.

I've instrumented the server for a bit more privates debugging and found
that there is one other object allocation happening before the server is
fully initialized -- the damage record allocated by the midispcur code.

Additionally, the shm extension re-initializes its private pointers
during server reset for no good reason in ShmResetProc. It looks to me
that this whole function can be deleted.

Neither of these two issues are a problem for selinux; the former is on
a structure which it doesn't care about (damage), the latter simply
attempts to re-initialize an already-initialized private pointer.

So, fixing the intel driver should make XSELinux run.

As for the midispcur bugs, I'd like to suggest that damage records lose
their ability to hold private storage; it's not currently used
anywhere. That's an ABI change though, so not suitable for 1.9 (or 1.9.1).

keith.packard at intel.com