Old O'Reilly X books

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Aug 25 15:14:03 PDT 2010

Everyone in the building I work in is busy packing their offices
to move to a new building this week, and as some of them have been
here 15 years, there's a lot of old stuff going into recycling piles
as not worth the effort of moving.

This includes more copies than I imagined of most of the old O'Reilly
X manuals - X protocol reference, Xlib reference, Xt toolkit, even the
Xview & Motif manuals.   These are mostly the X11R3/R4 versions of the
manuals, so would be somewhat out of date for Xlib (missing threads,
i18n, xkb, etc.), a little out of date for Xt (no idea what changed
after R4, little has changed since R6) & Motif (none of the OpenMotif
extensions), and probably completely up to date for Xview (if anyone
still cares about that).   There's also a couple of copies of the
Digital Press books (Schiefler & Gettys) which were mostly just the
official specs nicely formatted & indexed (O'Reilly on the other hand
expanded the text in theirs), as well as X books from a couple other
authors.

There are later copies of several of these freely available online [1],
but these trees are already dead if you need a dead tree version.

Is there anyone out there that has a use for these ancient scrolls?
I can save them from the recycling bin if so...

[1] http://www.x.org/wiki/ProgrammingDocumentation

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com